Wednesday, March 3, 2021

The blue boat - La barca azul

Mexico
Photograph © Brent Kollock

At dawn, the north wind blew the waves strongly, beating its foamy arms with fervor until a boat was wrecked on the beach. Its blue color had faded in parts where the sea had taken its due when navigating its waters. A sign on the side in scarlet letters read Palom r. The letter a had been erased and a grayish shadow remained in its place.


The sun's rays rushed down and the light peeked out between my toes. Because of my exhaustion, I couldn't lift my eyes any longer. So I slept a while. I was hungry and thirsty.  I had to get to town before the downpour fell.  


I tried to rush my sleep. My bare chest, dry with sand, reminded me of the luck of my escape from my husband's house. I ran out into the night when he tried to lock me in a room under a padlock. I managed to shake off his anger by throwing a wooden jewelry box at the window. The cracks in the glass were my door of freedom and I ran in the moonlight until I reached the beach.


I walked towards the blue boat. Its whale-like figure had an empty skeleton belly. I 
found a rope and a fishing net. I climbed in and hid. I tried to stop the wind with my fingers. The boat rocked and the waves spoke sweetly to her.  She moved until she was stuck in a rocky corner where white flowers grew. The flowers gave off a scent of honey-pollen and the bees buzzed quickly, intoxicated by their feeding. The coarse grain of the sand was like white sugar that melts with water. I imagined eating the sand with honey and thus I calmed the anguish of my hunger.


Photograph © Brent Kollock

Thick, heavy drops began to appear. I thought it would be a light drizzle, but then it gained strength and jets of water moved the boat from its place.  Bubbles and foam from the sea crashed in and turned my refuge into a heavy belly. I abandoned the boat.


I came upon a thatched shack at a fisherman's wharf. A toothless lady dressed in a stained apron bellowed at me, "Dirty!" When they smell a strange presence, the skinny, mangy dogs come out to bark, dripping saliva. The uproar summoned people to lean out the door to take a look.  Another lady with broad shoulders and a bent forehead offered me a scratchy cloth to cover my nakedness. Her hands with luminous scales that had stuck dry to her hands smelled of guts and fish. But I felt her motherhood in her eyes and she offered me lodging in her hut.


She comforted me, “Tomorrow will dawn a clear day pronounced by the mouth of God. Come on girl, sleep. The journey is long and we women are of dominion and power. "


Written by Leticia Alaniz

© 2021

Photograph © Brent Kollock



 

 

5 comments:

  1. Paknance
    We are Paknance, Pakistan’s 1st NFT marketplace. We are working for the development of digital Pakistan by providing all Pakistanis a platform to sell their original and authentic content. Our tangible and intangible gadgets include Arts. In case of profitability, arts are the most Non-Fungible Tokens ever. NFT can be anything from a digital art piece. You can start your NFT Marketing from our website. Our website is https://paknance.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading about "La barca azul" and the beautiful imagery it evokes. As someone who loves to travel, reliable cellular internet services are essential for staying connected and sharing experiences with loved ones. It's amazing how technology has made it possible to stay connected even while exploring remote destinations like the ones described in the article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Blue Boat - La Barca Azul is a beautiful tale of resilience in the face of chronic disease. Meri Sehat's online medical services offer a similar hope for those struggling with health issues. Their user-friendly platform connects patients with experienced doctors for remote consultations, making healthcare accessible to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was impressed by the vivid imagery and emotional depth portrayed in The Blue Boat (La Barca Azul) short story. The way the author weaves together themes of love, loss, and hope is truly captivating. As someone who values the power of storytelling, I appreciate the skill and creativity that goes into creating such a memorable piece. It's clear that the author has a gift for writing, and it's exciting to think about how a professional Best Writing Service could help them take their craft to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post! Thanks for sharing such amazing information with us. Please keep sharing.
    best 3pl companies

    ReplyDelete